The Premier League transfer window has closed, but the rest of Europe remains open for business. Plus, it’s never too late to look forward to January! Click here to view the latest transfers and keep up to date with the latest gossip below.
TOP STORY: Real offer James, Bale, Navas (and €100m) for Neymar
Paris Saint-Germain have rejected a eye-opening offer from Real Madrid that would see Neymar return to Spain in exchange for James Rodriguez, Gareth Bale, and Keylor Navas. Plus €100m to top the thing off.
L’Equipe report the PSG didn’t budge on the sure-fire blockbuster deal, and comes a day after the French champions rebuffed an offer from Barcelona, where Neymar played for several seasons. Barca’s deal, sources told ESPN FC, would have involved an intial loan then a permanent signing of the Brazilian star that could have been worth up to €190m.
L’Equipe add that in addition to Real and Barcelona, Italian champions Juventus are also interested in Neymar and are willing to ship Paulo Dybala to Paris as a makeweight.
The would-be move comes as Navas has reportedly submitted a request for a transfer, according to Marca. Real manager Zinedine Zidane has apparently made it clear that Thibaut Courtois is the No. 1 this season, which has prompted Navas to make his future somewhere else.
12.30 BST: AS Saint-Etiene have announced the permanent signing of Timothee Kolodziejczak from Mexican side Tigres…. using a Scrabble set!
— AS Saint-Étienne (@ASSEofficiel) August 22, 2019
11.45 BST: Inter Milan have approached Barcelona over a loan deal for Arturo Vidal but the Catalan club made they clear that they don’t consider that option, sources have told ESPN FC.
Barça would be willing to consider the departure of the Chilean international if the right offer arrives but the same sources confirmed to ESPN FC that they won’t let him go on loan or on the cheap after they paid 18 million euros plus three in add-ons to get his services from Bayern Munich during the last summer transfer window.
Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte already coached Vidal during his time in Juventus and would like to reunite with him in Serie A after a few weeks ago they lost Radja Nainggolan to Cagliari.
11.13 BST: Japanese starlet Takefusa Kubo is set to join Mallorca on a season-long loan from Real Madrid, sources close to the negotiations have told ESPN FC.
Having played for the Barcelona academy in the past, the 18-year-old forward joined Los Blancos from FC Tokyo earlier in the summer as a prospect for the future.
Kubo was expected to spend the campaign at Real Madrid’s second team to continue his development under Raul Gonzalez but there has been a change of plans after he attracted the attention of a number of La Liga clubs while playing time with Zinedine Zidane’s senior team during their pre-season.
Valladolid, Getafe and Leganes have also expressed interest in his services in recent weeks but sources have told ESPN FC that he is finally ready to move on loan to Mallorca.
10.58 BST: The transfer window in Spain closes on Sept. 2, meaning clubs still have time to bolster their squads. ESPN FC’s Steve Nicol discusses whether Barcelona need to add to their team and take pressure off Lionel Messi.
ESPN FC’s Steve Nicol discusses how Barcelona struggle to adjust without talisman Lionel Messi in the side.
9.38 BST: Jerome Boateng and Renato Sanches could still leave Bayern Munich, CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has told Sky.
Former Germany defender Boateng was told to find a new club by FCB president Uli Hoeness at the end of last season, but he instead opted to remain at the German champions.
But after losing his place to new signing Benjamin Pavard for the season opener versus Hertha Berlin, the 30-year-old might still leave Bayern during the final days of the European transfer window.
“It will not be easy to get regular game time in this constellation,” Rummenigge said. “If he wants to leave the club, he must inform us and we’ll consider it then. But he must make the decision.”
Sanches, 22, meanwhile, said he was not happy with his current situation at the club following the 2-2 draw with Hertha. He was fined €10,000 in the aftermath of the comments.
But with Michael Cuiscance and Philippe Coutinho becoming Bayern’s latest squad additions this week, Rummenigge said he could understand the Portugal midfielder’s impatience “a bit.”
“He joined us as the ‘Golden Boy’, as a European champion with Portugal, three years ago and he lost his place on the national team. He wants to win it back and therefore he needs minutes,” the Bayern boss said. “But that won’t be easy here, especially after the Coutinho transfer.”
“We will talk to him and his agent. We must find a solution which works for him, FC Bayern and the coach.”
08.55 BST: Tottenham are set to offload some players from their squad following the summer signings of midfielder Tanguy Ndombele and versatile left-sided player Ryan Sessegnon, according to The Times.
The newspaper reports that Spurs are in talks with Belgium’s Club Brugge over the £10m sale of Kenyan central midfielder Victor Wanyama, while a £4.6m deal has already been struck with Turkish side Besiktas for winger Georges-Kevin Nkoudou.
The futures of star playmaker Christian Eriksen and full-back pair Danny Rose and Serge Aurier remain in the balance, with any or all of them potentially leaving before the European transfer deadline on Sept. 2.
08.29 BST: The agent of Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele insists that his clinet wants to stay at Barcelona, and is not interested in being used as a makeweight in a deal to bring Nemyar back to the club from PSG.
“We have received some interest from some great clubs, but I told them from the off that there was no chance — Ousmane wanted to stay with Barcelona from the start, Moussa Sissoko told RMC. “When you are at Barca, whether the rumours involve Neymar or somebody else, you expect extraordinary competition. He is only looking out for himself.
“It is in our plans to stay — Ousmane wants to succeed with Barca and we are putting everything in place to do that.”
08.00 BST: Manchester United have made signing Jadon Sancho their top priority and will submit a £100m bid to Borussia Dortmund in January, The Sun reports.
The report adds that United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be given the entirety of the £75m earned from the sale of Romelu Lukaku, and he will use it to invest in England winger Sancho.
Sancho, 19, has reportedly been offered a new £190,000-a-week deal by Dortmund.
PAPER TALK (by James Capps): Ex-Man Utd target Fernandes could go to Real
Fernandes has been offered to Los Galacticos via renowned agent Jorge Mendes, who Sporting hope can leverage a deal that would see the Portugal international head to the Bernabeu in a deal worth around €70 million.
Reports in the Spanish publication believe that fee is non-negotiable, a claim that is substantiated by reports over the summer that Sporting rejected a bid from Tottenham Hotspur — rumoured to be in the region of €60m.
Fernandes had been on United’s list earlier in the summer but sources told ESPN that Old Trafford moved on from him because of concerns that the midfielder loses possession too much.
Juve pondering Pjanic sale to PSG
The Bosnian has reportedly failed to convince new Juve boss Maurizio Sarri that he’s the man to fill the defensive slot in his new-look midfield, with the former Chelsea manager believed to prefer new signing Adrien Rabiot for the holding role.
That news has prompted Juventus to hold talks with Pjanic’s agent, Fali Ramadani — and those discussions have put Paris Saint-Germain on red alert.
The Ligue 1 champions were heavily linked with a move for the 29-year-old last summer, and with the club potentially coming into substantial funds via a sale of Neymar, Thomas Tuchel’s side could switch their attention back to Pjanic.
A move wouldn’t be cheap, however, with reports claiming it would take around €80 million to prise the former Roma man away from Turin.
United face hefty Sanchez golden goodbye
Talks between the two clubs continued on Wednesday, with Inter hoping a move could be completed in time for the start of their Serie A season at home to Lecce next Monday.
And the Nerazzurri are already looking ahead to the summer of 2020, but any permanent contract offer they make to the Chilean is highly unlikely to exceed £150,000 a week, leaving a £350,000 weekly shortfall in the 31-year-old’s earnings.
With Sanchez almost certain to turn his nose up at a pay cut, it is looking increasingly likely that the Old Trafford club will have to stump up the final two years of the forward’s £500,000-a-week deal, worth a whopping £36 million.
– Marca also claims Valencia are set to revive their interest in Barcelona midfielder Rafinha, who is close to signing a new contract at Camp Nou ahead of a loan move. The 26-year-old’s first-team development at Barca has been blighted by injuries, and his club are hoping a fruitful spell on loan will help them fetch a sizeable transfer fee next summer.
– Former Inter Milan and Sampdoria striker Eder could be about to return to Serie A, with Calciomercato claiming the 32-year-old is a transfer target for Sassuolo. The Brazil-born striker has spent the last year at Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Suning.