spain-north-korea-embassy-intruder-contacted-fbi-judge-states

A Spanish court has accused 10 people of pushing their way into the North Korean embassy in Madrid and seeking to persuade an official there to defect.

High Court judge Jose de la Mata, who on Tuesday lifted a secrecy order on the case, believes that the set of pests identified themselves as individual rights campaigners during the assault, according to a record of Spain‘s High Court.

A couple of days after their chief contacted the US service, the FBIto pass on information regarding the reform, a court document said.

The record said it had found evidence of different crimes, such as trespassing, accidents, dangers and burglary given by”a criminal organisation” at the embassy in Madrid.

A judicial source told the Reuters news agency that the judge believes all the identified suspects went into the US following the raid and he would request their extradition to Spain, in which they might encounter 28 years in prison.

State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said the US administration was not involved with the raid, that Spanish High Court documents said included a Mexican citizen who’s a former US resident and a US citizen, along with South Korean taxpayers.

“The United States government had nothing to do with all this,” Palladino told a regular news briefing, stressing the United States called for the protection of embassies, whichever country they belonged to.

He referred questions regarding the analysis to Spanish authorities.

The FBI said in a statement it is”our standard practice to confirm nor deny the presence of an investigation”, adding that the agency had a solid working relationship with Spanish law enforcement partners.

Spain’s Interior Ministry had previously said authorities were investigating an incident in the embassy about February 22, but gave no specifics except to mention that a North Korean citizen had been hurt and that no one had filed a complaint.

A Mexican citizen who’s a US resident, identified as Adrian Hong Chang, directed the group, the Spanish High Court said in the document, depending on the evaluation of this incident.

The team stole computershard disks and pen drives, it said. It wasn’t clear how the courtroom knew that the guy had contacted the FBI.

Three of these intruders took an embassy official to the cellar and invited him to obstruction from North Korea. They identified themselves as members of a team who campaigned for the”liberation of North Korea”, ” the record said.

The Washington Post reported this month a dissident organisation named Cheollima Civil Defense had completed the raid.

Knives and Fake firearms

The Spanish court document gave a thorough account of these intruders’ moves earlier, as well as through the intrusion, including their stay in a hotel and purchases of knives, balaclava masks and fake guns.

The group comprised a US citizen and South Korean citizens.

There is no immediate comment on the topic in the US State Department or South Korea’s Foreign Ministry. Spain’s Interior Ministry declined to comment.

The embassy raid occurred shortly before the February 27-28 summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump in Hanoi.

The Mexican, Hong Chang, said he had carried out the raid voluntarily and he didn’t spot his own companies, the court document said. The court identified the US taxpayer as Sam Ryu.

The group maintained embassy team tied up for several hours and then searched the premises for arms before leaving, at which point they split into four classes and headed to Portugal.

Hong Chang then flew from Lisbon to New York.

In Spain, the High Court has the power to investigate criminal offences, after which formal accusations are established.

administrator

    Related Articles