TOP STORY: Man United join chase for Cavani
Edinson Cavani‘s future has been the source of almost constant speculation in the past few months and now it appears that Old Trafford could be a potential destination for the Uruguayan star. According the Manchester Evening News, Manchester United will be offered the PSG striker for free this summer, although any hopes they had of bringing him to the Premier League before the end of January appear to have been scuppered.
United are still smarting from missing out on Erling Haaland, with the Norwegian wonderkid opting to join Borussia Dortmund earlier this month. Injuries to Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay have made the club’s search for a midfielder more of a priority this month, but the chance to bring Cavani to the English top flight in the summer is a seriously enticing prospect for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The report adds that the main reason Cavani probably won’t leave in January is the £30 million price tag slapped on the player by PSG.
Barkley has been linked with a move to West Ham but Lampard said: “There’s no talk here of Ross Barkley going anywhere. I’ve got a lot of faith in him. That was news I heard this week — I have no feeling towards it.”
Lampard added that Willian who is in the final months of his contract, is “not going anywhere” this month.
13.35 GMT: Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho has told reporters Inter Milan are yet to make an offer for Christian Eriksen, and that the midfielder will play against Watford this weekend. Mourinho added that he is unsure of the status of Spurs’ negotiations with defender Jan Vertonghen over a new contract, but said he believes the club will agree a permanent deal for Giovani Lo Celso this month.
13.10 GMT: Sevilla coach Julen Lopetegui has said he is excited at having new signing Youssef En-Nesyri at his disposal. The Morocco international joined the club from Leganes in a €20m transfer on Thursday and trained with the team on Friday. His contract keeps him at Sevilla until June 2025.
“We are happy,” former Spain coach Lopetegui said in a news conference on Friday. “He is a young player that has a lot of potential and will continue to grow. We know En-Nesyri well and signed him because he is a player that can help us now and in the future. He knows the league and he is a complete player — he can play in different positions, but he is best suited as a No.9.”
The arrival of En-Nesyri, who is set to make his Sevilla debut in Saturday’s league game at Real Madrid, should speed up Javier Hernandez‘s expected departure to LA Galaxy.
12.48 GMT: France Football have reported that Lyon are to sign Karl Toko Ekambi from Villarreal for €20m — including bonuses — and a percentage of a future sale. However, Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has taken to Twitter to call reports of an agreement “premature,” while asserting that a loan deal with an option to buy is what is being discussed.
That’s more in line with L’Equipe’s report, which says the deal — a loan with an obligation to buy in the region of €20m — is close to being completed.
12.35 GMT: Schalke convinced Barcelona defender Jean-Clair Todibo with their concept of “seeking success with young players,” the 20-year-old has told reporters. Earlier this week, Todibo completed his loan move to the Bundesliga outfit, who also secured a €25m option to buy the centre-back.
Schalke are fifth in the league, only behind local rivals Borussia Dortmund on goal difference, and Todibo has said Champions League football is in his sights while at the German club.
12.20 GMT: Genoa have contacted River Plate attacking midfielder Juan Fernando Quintero with a view to signing him on a six-month loan, according to reports. While TyC Sports claims the Italian outfit has approached the player, the club is reportedly yet to make an official offer to River, who are expected to reject any bid below the Colombia international’s €30m release clause.
Quintero, 26, has made six league appearances for River this season and is tied to the Buenos Aires club until June 2022. He formerly played for Porto.
“It’s a really nice day [and] my first time in Milan,” the 34-year-old said. Life moves fast — having spent the last eight years in Manchester, Milan could be confirmed as his new home for the next two-and-a-half years by the end of today.
11.40 GMT: Sporting Lisbon coach Silas has said only a “catastrophe” would prevent Manchester United target Bruno Fernandes from missing today’s league derby against Benfica. Sources told ESPN Fernandes has agreed personal terms with United, but the two clubs have yet to reach an agreement for the Sporting captain to move to Old Trafford.
“The only certainty I have is that Bruno will be present,” Silas said in a news conference on Thursday when asked about the game at the Jose Alvalade stadium. “We have prepared the game with him, he has trained very well, he is an extraordinary player, the best in the league. Only a catastrophe would see him miss this. He will be [there] as he always is.”
11.10 GMT: Ahead of his imminent transfer to Inter Milan, Ashley Young has landed in Italy, with an official announcement expected in the next couple of hours — that’s according to Sky Italia. The Manchester United left-back has already been replaced as club captain at Old Trafford, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer naming Harry Maguire in the role this morning.
Sources told ESPN the €1.5m deal will see Young, 34, remain at the San Siro for 18 months, though the Nerazzurri apparently have an option to keep the former Aston Villa player for an extra year.
10.50 GMT: Atalanta have announced they have exercised the right to buy Duvan Zapata from Sampdoria. The 28-year-old, who has been on loan at Atalanta since 2018, has netted six times in nine Serie A games this season, as well as notching three assists. He said on Friday: “I am very happy and I want to thank Atalanta for this further show of confidence in me.”
10.25 GMT: Ben Chilwell may be suffering a little dip in form with Leicester of late, but he remains on the radar of both Chelsea and Manchester City. If the Foxes are forced to replace the England international in the summer, the Daily Mail reckons they could move for Southampton’s Ryan Bertrand. Yes, that’s the Ryan Bertrand who was sent off in Southampton’s 9-0 loss at home to Leicester earlier this year.
10.08 GMT: Tottenham have already started the winter market strongly with the arrival of Gedson Fernandes, and soon they could announce the signing of Krzysztof Piatek or Edinson Cavani to cover the injured Harry Kane. But that’s not all, Mauricio Pochettino did not want a replacement for Kieran Trippier, opting instead to promote Kyle Walker-Peters from the academy, but he does not feature in Mourinho’s plans.
Serge Aurier does not have his confidence either, so Mourinho has put forward the name of Joao Cancelo of Manchester City as a potential replacement. That’s all according to Portuguese publication El Desmarque.
09.49 GMT: Eintracht Frankfurt hope to sign Borussia Dortmund winger Jacob Bruun Larsen on a loan deal, but the Bundesliga giants would rather want to sell the 21-year-old following an underwhelming first half of the season. Should Dortmund not find a taker for the winger, who is set to lose his squad place to United States starlet Gio Reyna, 17, a Frankfurt loan could become an option for Borussia, kicker reports.
09.29 GMT: As Ashley Young prepares to complete his switch to Inter Milan, a report in The Sun says he stormed out of training earlier this month in an apparent strop about his proposed move. And that led to him being left out of last Saturday 4-0 win over Norwich and the FA Cup victory over Wolves. We revealed on Thursday night how Young is set to sign an 18-month contract with the Serie A side, with the option of an additional 12 months, after United accepted a bid of around €1.5m.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said on Friday: “For Ashley, 35 in the summer, to get a two-year contract, up to him to take that.”
09.05 GMT: Spurs seem to be in a race against time to get some cash for Christian Eriksen, who is out of contract in the summer. Inter Milan are leading the race for his signature, and the Daily Telegraph reports that an opening offer of £13m has been made to land the Dane this month. Spurs are holding out for £17m but the power may be with Inter.
08.30 GMT: Just two weeks left in the transfer window. Will we see any deals go through today? Will Ashley Young complete his switch to Inter Milan? Stick with us.
PAPER ROUND: Chelsea get boost in Werner pursuit
RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner is eyeing a move to Chelsea after the German star admitted that he’s desperate to test himself among the Premier League elite, reports the Daily Mail. The Bundesliga star has attracted plenty of attention, courtesy of his goal-scoring feats in the Germany, with Werner’s net-busting talents having propelled Leipzig to the top of the league going into the second half of the season.
– Schoenfeld: Why RB Leipzig is the most hated team in the Bundesliga
Spanish giants Real Madrid have been linked with his signature in the recent past, but the report says that it seems as though Chelsea, with their transfer ban lifted, could be his preferred destination.
Werner recently told Bild: “The Premier League is certainly the most interesting league, you have to say. There’s a certain flair to watching the English league and playing there.”
Soumare set to choose between Chelsea, United
The 20-year-old has two-and-a-half years remaining on his contract, and the French club are willing to sanction his sale this month, but will demand “north of £40m” for a player described as “Paul Pogba without the baggage,” a deep-lying ball winner with the ability to pick out long-range passes.
Sky writes that United could cool their interest in the France U21 international with a deal for Bruno Fernandes imminent, which could pave the way for him to join compatriot N’Golo Kante in West London.
– West Ham United defender Issa Diop said he was focused on finishing the season strong at London Stadium and not worried about a future big move. Speaking to Foot Mercato, the French youngster said he wanted to take care “of the football side of things.” The ex-Toulouse man is rated at €90m, and has drawn interest from Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.
– More news from West Ham here, as the club hasn’t given up on bringing Ross Barkley to East London on loan, despite being rebuffed by Chelsea earlier this month. The Mirror reports that David Moyes is still more than interested in luring Barkley to the Hammers in a move that would reunite the Scot with the prodigy he nurtured during his time at Goodison Park.