With Democrats, some Republicans, and Obama judges on federal courts aligned against POTUS Donald Trump’s efforts to build new walls along the U.S.-Mexico border, a private organization has stepped in to erect new barriers were it can.
We Build The Wall, a group started by triple amputee and U.S. Air Force veteran Brian Kolfage, began construction of a half-mile section of new wall on private property over the Memorial Day holiday where hundreds of illegal aliens and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs were crossing into nearby El Paso, Texas, on a daily basis.
Just as the organization was getting its operation rolling, they were shut down by local city officials in neighboring New Mexico who claim that We Build The Wall did not have proper permitting and other government permissions to construct the barrier.
As The Washington Examiner reported:
A New Mexico town ordered the nonprofit We Build The Wall to “cease and desist” construction on a U.S.-Mexico border fence on Tuesday for lacking proper permitting.
The completed section of the privately-funded border fence, which runs about half a mile, violates a Sunland Park city ordinance. City officials were barred from inspecting the wall last week and the property owner submitted an incomplete application to build a fence on his land, Sunland Park Mayor Javier Perea said in a Tuesday press conference.
“We have issued a cease and desist order to the owner of the property,” Perea said. “At this point, it will be turned over to the courts for follow-up on the matter.”
City officials claimed that the organization didn’t have survey data on their application to build the wall or a proper blueprint. In addition, “the fence is larger than the six-foot maximum set by city law,” the Washington Examiner noted.
A big win for America and border security
But Kolfage told reporters Wednesday that all of the permitting processes were correct, the appropriate paperwork had been filed, and everything was a go — until, suddenly, it wasn’t.
“What cartel paid off the Sunland Park City officials to lie and shut down our wall project?! THEY LIED! exactly why we kept it quiet,” Kolfage tweeted. “It’s pretty bad when our legal team has to educate Sunland Park mayor on his own city ordinances. They don’t even understand their own laws. We’re about to embarrass them in front of the nation who is watching!”
He was right.
On Friday, Kolfage tweeted, “WINNING!! @WeBuildtheWall was given the green light yesterday afternoon by the city of Sunland Park to resume construction, and our permits were re-issued. From the start We Build The Wall, Inc complied with all regulations as required by law as we stated.”
In an interview last week with Fox News, Kris Kobach, former Kansas secretary of state who is affiliated with We Build The Wall, said the organization was told by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that a wall could not feasibly be erected along the section where they wanted to build, but the group proved them wrong. (Related: Private border wall going up in vulnerable El Paso sector even as federal courts push open borders.)
The wall construction comes as POTUS Trump — who, unlike previous presidents, refuses to give up on his campaign pledge to secure the border — imposed a 5 percent tariff on all goods coming into the U.S. from Mexico beginning June 10, a tariff that will increase to 25 percent over the course of 2019 if the Mexican government did not do more to stop illegal immigration.
The tariffs will steadily increase after June 10 until the 25 percent maximum is imposed by the end of the year — if illegal immigration remains a problem.
“On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow,” he tweeted.